- Application Deadline:March 1
- Program Code:142.H0
- DEC in:Diagnostic Imaging Technology
- Certification:Ordre des technologues en imagerie mÃ©dicale, en radio-oncologie et en Ã©lectrophysiologie mÃ©dicale du QuÃ©bec
Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists
- Program Length:3 years
If you would like to:
- Dedicate your career to helping people
- Work in a fast-paced medical field
- Understand the human body and how it functions
- Take anatomical images that are essential to the diagnosis and treatment of injury and disease
- Develop strong communication, observation and interpersonal skills
- Analyze and solve problems
- Adapt to evolving technology
- Perform physically demanding tasks
- Be part of an interdisciplinary healthcare team
Then the Diagnostic Imaging Program Technology could be for you.
An exciting and gratifying career as a healthcare professional can be yours when you complete the Diagnostic Imaging Technology Program, totally updated and revised in 2020. You will be qualified to work as a Medical Imaging Technologist (MIT) in the Medical Imaging and Emergency/Trauma departments of hospitals as well as in the Operating Room. Training in using specialty imaging modalities such as Mobile Radiography, Radioscopy, CT and MRI is also part of the program. Through hands-on learning both on campus and in health facilities, you will be prepared to provide an optimal service and experience to the patient.
Being able to work on different specialties within one program gave me all the necessary skills to be a competent technologist.â€” Alicia M.
What you will learn?
- To operate state-of-the-art equipment, digital imaging technology and software to perform medical imaging examinations and procedures
- To produce high quality images of the human body to assist physicians with the diagnosis and subsequent treatment of injury and disease
- To develop analytical and critical thinking skills
- To provide care to patients before, during and after medical imaging procedures
- To work alongside physicians and assist them with complex interventional procedures
- To perform professional duties with empathy and autonomy
- To function as an essential member of a collaborative healthcare team that provides professional medical care and support to patients and families
- To employ safe work habits
- To practise stress management and self-care
Where will this program lead you?
- Medical Imaging Technologist (MIT) in hospitals and private clinics
- Management and coordination of Medical Imaging Departments
- Application Specialist for Imaging Equipment
- Career in Sales of Medical Imaging Equipment and related products
- PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication System) administration
- Medical research
- Canadian Forces Health Services team
Some graduates choose to pursue university studies in management programs or xcience programs such as advanced certification in specialized imaging modalities.
What else you should know?
- Once admitted to the program, students must:
- have a clean criminal record check
- provide proof of a complete immunization record
- The Diagnostic Imaging Technology Program has computer workstations for each student on campus that are networked and equipped with software simulation tools found in the specialty modalities such as CT and MRI
- The program offers clinical stages in different hospital/clinical sites that provide the students with hands-on training
- Â Graduates must pass the provincial order (OTIMROEPMQ) exam and must obtain the FrenchÂ proficiency (OQLF) requirement in order to receive a license to practice in Quebec
- Graduates can pass the national (CAMRT) certification exam to practice elsewhere in Canada
- As a member of a professional order or association, the Medical Imaging Technologist must obtain educational credits each year, to maintain the professional license and continuously update their education and professional skills
- The Diagnostic Imaging profession is challenging on a physical level thus stamina and manual dexterity are essential in this field
What do you need to apply?
- A Diploma of Secondary Studies (DES) or academicÂ background judged equivalent to the DES
- Sec IV Mathematics - Cultural, Social & Technical optionÂ 563-414
- Sec IV Environmental Science & Technology or EnvironmentalÂ Science 558-404 or 558-402
- Placement at College English 101 and Basic French
- Letter of intent